Top best answers to the question «How fast does the sound of thunder travel»
- The return stroke (the current that cause the visible flash) moves upward at a speed of about 320,000,000 ft per second or about 220,000,000 miles per hour (about 1/3 the speed of light). In comparison, the sound of thunder travels at about 1100 ft per second or about 750 miles per hour.
How long does it take for Thunder to roll in?
- If it takes 10 seconds for the thunder to roll in, the lightning struck about 2 miles or 3 kilometers away. For more information on lightning and related topics, check out the links on the next page. What causes thunder during lightning? Thunder is basically the expansion of air that surrounds the lightning bolt’s path.
Those who are looking for an answer to the question «How fast does the sound of thunder travel?» often ask the following questions:
❔ Al murray why does everyone hate the english scotland?
The award-winning comedian and history fanatic finds out what lies behind England's greatest feuds with closest neighbours Wales, Scotland, Ireland, Germany and France.
❔ How long does it take for a turkey to thaw in the refrigerator?
- In general, allow 24 hours of thawing time for every 4 to 5 pounds of turkey. Another way to thaw a turkey is using cold water. This method is quicker than refrigerator thawing, but requires more care. Submerge the entire wrapped turkey in cold water. To make sure that the turkey does not get up to room temperature,...
❔ How long does it take to build the grand hotel on mackinac island?
The hotel opened on July 10, 1887 and took a mere 93 days to complete.
❔ How much does it cost to stay at the belvedere hotel in baltimore?
Today, as a mixed-use condominium, the Belvedere serves many masters. Residents can purchase individual living units, efficiencies or one-or two-bedrooms, ranging in price from about $60,000 to $300,000.
❔ How much does it cost to stay at the trump hotel in dc?
Trump International Hotel Washington DC $515 ($̶1̶,̶1̶4̶5̶). Washington Hotel Deals & Reviews - KAYAK.
❔ How much does it cost to stay in a hotel in the us?
The average daily rate (ADR) of hotels in the United States was 90.92 U.S. dollars as of November 2020.
❔ How much does it cost to tour the grand hotel on mackinac island?
It is located outside the hotel's east entrance near Cadotte Avenue and is open to all visitors, with no hotel admission fee. Please note: To enter the hotel and explore our grounds, there is a $10.00 admission fee. This includes a map of the hotel and a map of our gardens and allows visitors to experience the hotel.
❔ Is it safe to travel to hong kong at the moment 2020?
Hong Kong - Level 3: Reconsider Travel… Reconsider travel to the PRC's Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (SAR) due to both arbitrary enforcement of local laws and COVID-19-related travel restrictions. Read the Department of State's COVID-19 page before you plan any international travel.
❔ What are the best places in india to travel in rainy season?
- Darjeeling is one of the best places to visit in rainy season in India. Simple pleasures such as strolling on the British roads as the raindrops caress your face, standing against strong winds and welcoming each street with a photograph will render you with indelible memories of Darjeeling.
10 other answers
As you know the speed of sound is approximately 1,087 feet per second. When you see the thunder strike, count the time (in seconds) for which it lasts. For example, if the lightning struck for about 5 seconds, divide 1,087 by 5 to calculate the distance. Thus, you’ll get that the lightning struck around 217 feet away.
The sound of thunder travels aproximately 340.33 meters a
Intense rain or snowfall can cut that distance to just a few miles. Sound travels faster in warm air, so when a temperature inversion is present, with warmer air above the cooler surface, if there...
Since you see lightning immediately and it takes the sound of thunder about 5 seconds to travel a mile, you can calculate the distance between you and the lightning.
Thunder travels much slower, at the speed of sound, about 1088 feet per second. It takes sound about 5 seconds to travel one mile. You can observe this for yourself. Go outside and watch as a jet flies overhead.
Thunder travels at the speed of sound and has a value of about 340 meters per second. The speed of sound in air at sea level moves about 1 mile every 5 seconds. Thus, when you see the lightning count the seconds and divide by 5 to get the approximate distance that the sound of thunder originates from.
It typically takes the sound of thunder 5 seconds to travel a mile. So, by counting the number of seconds it takes between the flash of lightning and the sound of thunder, you can determine how far you are from the lightning strike.
travels at 186,282 meters per second (670,616,629 mph), so in theory, nothing moves faster than the speed of light. The speed of sound is commonly stated as the speed of sound waves through dry air, which is about 343.2 meters per second (768 mph) in air at a temperature near
Thunder will always be heard after the lightning strike is seen owing to the fact that light travels significantly faster than sound. Both the lightning and thunder clap are generated...
At 0 °C (32 °F), the speed-of-sound is 1,192 km/h, 741 mph. The speed of sound in an ideal gas depends only on its temperature and composition. The speed has a weak dependence on frequency and pressure in ordinary air, deviating slightly from ideal behavior. In colloquial speech, speed of sound refers to the speed of sound waves in air.
We've handpicked 6 related questions for you, similar to «How fast does the sound of thunder travel?» so you can surely find the answer!What new tools made transoceanic travel and trade possible for the europeans in the era 1450-1750?
(such as caravels) and an improved understanding of global wind and currents patterns, all of which made transoceanic travel and trade possible. What were the major notable trans-oceanic voyages between 1450-1750 CE?Where does the x shaped cross on the scottish flag come from?
- The heraldic term for an X-shaped cross is a 'saltire', from the old French word saultoir or salteur (itself derived from the Latin saltatorium ), a word for both a type of stile constructed from two cross pieces and a type of cross-shaped stirrup-cord. In heraldic language, the Scottish flag may be blazoned azure, a saltire argent.
- Big Sky, Montana…
- Lake Tahoe…
- Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, Michigan…
- Apostle Islands Sea Caves…
- Upper Mississippi River Towns, Illinois and Iowa…
- Death Valley National Park, California and Nevada…
- Magic Mountain Ski Area, Vermont.
- c and y c (and)y. Please Share! Which part of a road do Ghost's love to travel the most? The Dead End. Please Share! When is it bad luck to see a black cat? When you are a mouse. Please Share! Why did Snap, Crackle and Pop get scared? They heard there was a cereal killer on the loose. Please Share! Why didn't the Mummy have any friends?
- States such as Kerala and Rajasthan, which see a lot of tourists, are generally a better option for female travelers, and especially solo female travelers. Goa is a popular destination, but it also has a “party scene” and has been the location of crimes against women travelers.
- Bus travel in Europe is not for everyone – but it’s cheap. You can travel from Munich to Nuremberg for as little as EUR 6 (R 94.00) with Flixibus, making it the best way to see Europe on a budget if you’re not on a time crunch. I used them for my trip between Berlin and Krakow.